Summertime is cherry time, so if you want to know what makes this tiny fruit so amazing, here is everything you need to know about cherries.
This fruit is a culinary aficionado’s dream because it’s so delicious and versatile. It makes a healthy snack, can be used in so many ways, and is delicious to eat right off the tree.
Whether you’re a vegan cook or just looking for some healthy recipe ideas, read on for all the info on cherries you need!
The Nutritional Benefits
Cherries are a popular fruit and offer a range of nutritional benefits. They are an excellent source of Vitamins C and A, as well as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and iron. They are also low in calories and fat.
And they contain ZERO cholesterol!
The nutritional content of this fruit can vary depending on the type of cherry. For example, sweet cherries are higher in sugar than tart ones.
Cherries also contain anthocyanins, which are powerful antioxidants that can help to protect cells from damage.
The Health Benefits
Cherries are known for their vibrant red color and sweet-tart flavor. They help to protect the body from cell damage and promote overall health.
They are a good source of fiber, which can help to lower cholesterol levels and keep the digestive system functioning properly.
Studies have shown that cherries may help reduce inflammation, improve sleep quality, and boost brain health.
How to Pick the Perfect Fruit
Here are a few things to consider when picking out your perfect cherry.
- Think about the seasonality of this fruit. Generally, it’s best to choose cherries that are in season in your region. This way, they will be fresher and more flavorful than those traveling long distances.
- You’ll want cherries with a firm flesh that feels slightly sticky to the touch.
- The flavor is perhaps the most important aspect of cherries, so be sure to try out samples and choose ones that taste sweet and delicious.
- One of the most important factors when choosing cherries is their color. The dark red ones are sweeter, while those with lighter patches or green tones may still need more time to ripen fully.
- Take note of any cracks or bruises on the fruit; this indicates
- that they may not be as fresh or flavorful as you’d like.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to pick the perfect cherries for any culinary or nutritional purpose!
Different Ways to Enjoy This Amazing Fruit
This delicious fruit can be enjoyed in numerous ways.
Some popular options include eating them raw, baking with them, and adding them to smoothies and milkshakes.
Or you can try out some more creative ideas, such as incorporating them into sweet and savory dishes. Or you can use them for healthy juices or tantalizing liqueurs.
You can even use cherries as natural dyes for your DIY projects!
You can also add cherries to a fruit salad or green leafy salad or use them in baking bread, cakes, or pies.
Cherries pair well with these spices: allspice, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, Star anise, and vanilla.
They also pair well with: basil, chervil, lemon verbena, mint, parsley, and thyme.
These sweet treats make the perfect dessert for any occasion and are popular with kids and adults alike.
Try adding them to more savory dishes such as stews, chili, and even barbecue sauces.
By using this fruit in your cooking, you can add a splash of color, sweetness, and fruity flavor that will delight your taste buds.
Whether you like them on their own or cooked up into an array of tasty dishes, there are endless ways to savor this delectable fruit.
With cherries, the possibilities truly are endless!
Cooking With Cherries
When cooking with cherries, there are a variety of different methods and techniques that you can try. For example, you could pair them with salads or even soups for a uniquely flavorful dish.
Or you could use them as the star ingredient in your cooking by making jams or preserves and adding them to sorbets or smoothies.
You can even boil cherries into a syrupy glaze for cocktails or coffee drinks.
Whatever cooking method you choose, cooking with cherries is sure to add not only great flavor but also wellness and vibrancy to your meal!
Best Way to Store Cherries
The very best way to store cherries is actually the easiest!
Do nothing to them.
Leave them in their original container and put them in the refrigerator as soon as possible.
Washing them first and then putting them into the fridge invites mold and mildew, so just wash the cherries as you need them.
If you aren’t eating them right away, then add a layer of paper towels to the container to help absorb any moisture that occurs while being stored. This will help keep the cherries fresh for about a week.
You can also freeze them – they last a long time and stay juicy, though they do lose their firm texture when they’re thawed.
Still, they’re perfect for baking and making jam and can be cooked over the stove with some sugar and water or sherry for a delicious ice cream topping.
Here Are a Few Delicious Cherry Recipes to Try
- Vegan Cherry Almond Cake by The Domestic Goddess
- Vegan Cherry Clafoutis by Holy Cow Vegan
- Best Ever Vegan Cherry Pie by Wow, It’s Veggie?
- Vegan Chocolate Cherry Chunk Ice Cream by Leite’s Culinaria
- Cherry Pistachio Quinoa Salad by The Simple Veganista
Check out this vegan banana bread – it’s delicious!
Cherries are easy to grow in your own backyard or garden. If you’re looking for a fun project this summer, why not try growing this delicious fruit? Here is everything you need to know about how to grow cherries.
Still Want to Know More About These Fruity Little Gems?
Then enjoy these fun facts about this amazing and tasty fruit!
Fun Facts About Cherries
– There are two main types of cherries – sweet and sour. Sweet is the kind that is commonly eaten as a snack, while sour is used to make pies and other desserts.
– Both types are native to Europe, Asia, and North America.
– Cherries are a popular symbol of summertime, and they are often used in decorations for this season.
– The scientific name for the cherry blossom is Prunus serrulata.
– More than 50% of the world’s cherries come from Turkey.
– The city of cherries in the United States is Traverse City, Michigan.
– National Cherry Pie Day is celebrated on February 20th.
– Queen Elizabeth II is the patron of the Cherry Growers Association in the UK.
– Cherry juice can be used as a natural dye for fabrics.
– The cherry is a member of the rose family, including plums, peaches, and apricots.
– The average tree can produce up to 15,000 cherries each year!
– More than half of the cherries grown in the United States are produced in Michigan.
– Cherry trees can live for up to 100 years.
– The largest cherry ever picked weighed 3/4 of a pound and was grown in Washington state.
So, there you have it—everything you ever wanted to know about cherries and more.
I hope you enjoyed this post and learned something new. If you have any questions or favorite tips, please let me know in the comments below.